* Web browsers can use the information in such [[:Category:multilingual support templates|multilingual support templates]] to choose an appropriate font.
** This is great for [[CJK characters|CJK]] where a character can be given its language-specific shape but will fall back to another form if no appropriate font is found or if the preferred font lacks that character, for example because the language does not make use of that character: see [[
* For [[web accessibility|accessibility]]—[[screen reader]]s need language info. to speak text in the correct language—and to satisfy [[Wikipedia:Accessibility#Text|Wikipedia accessibility guidelines]].
* For [[spell checker]]s and grammar checkers.
* [[Web search engine|Search engine]]s can use this information when [[index (search engine)|indexing]] text.
* Facilitates better data-scraping, parsing and re-use.
* Useful for application developers who re-publish Wikipedia (also see [[Wikipedia:
* Useful for research or compiling statistics about language use in Wikipedia.